Thursday, April 17, 2014

R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book by Robert Crumb 1998




            The R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book blew my mind and not in that painfully clichéd way referential to the 60’s; I mean it actually had an impact on me. The almost abrasively honest subject matter depicted by Crumb was eye opening to say the least. His classic stuff was pretty funny but the best part, hands down, was the retrospective on his own life, where he sits in a velvet robe with that little pig and recounts his adventures, commenting on all the conventions of the times he lived through as well as giving a candid look into his life. The recounting of his sexual adventures was definitely less than savory, but secretly i thought it was great. The segment where he goes over the rise and fall of the hippie movement was especially interesting and I saw a lot of parallels between it and my generation. In another 20 or 30 years I hope to see someone’s hilarious and biting commentary on the generation who got passed the “save the world” ball and fumbled around with it. It was interesting reading and writing about this after the Bush Junta. The two together entice my imagination to project itself into the future. I’d be interested to find other comics that do the same kind of commentary on this level like the Bush Junta.

No comments:

Post a Comment